Pat in Peru

Monday, July 17, 2006

Arequipan Visit

More than a year after I last went to Arequipa in my capacity as Diocesan Project Coordinator I have visited again and enjoyed catching up with friends and contacts there. I went to accompany the new volunteer and youth coordinator from SAMS UK, Suzanne Potter, who is in South America for a series of visits with Mission Partners, volunteers and national leaders.

The visit started with a loud reunion with the band and school of San Lucas busy preparing for competitions for the National Independence day when all schools march with their musicians. I was impressed especially as the sun was so hot, thankfully most children had their hats on which is a must with the strong sun in the altitude. This was followed by lunch with mission personnel and volunteers from USA and UK.

We visited the new children's home with the 5 adolescents and Saturday morning Suzanne and I spent a happy time playing with the 11 children in San Jose home. It was incredible to see how they had all grown. All the children attend San Lucas school and do well in their studies.

Sunday morning I went to a service at San Lucas church where they have a rota for inviting each school grade to attend with their parents. It was a very nice time and I was also able to meet up with dear friends Wilfredo and Mariloli who work with MMI (Medical Work) and who have recenlty moved to Arequipa from Lima due to the demands of the medical campaigns. As I left them and went to the airport I bumped into Brian Piecuch, director of MMI, so was able to catch up with him as well before he received a team of 37 people to work on a medical campaign in Arequipa during the week.

I have still not replaced my digital camera, cannot make up my mind what model to buy, so I will post some photos of this visit when I have finished the disposible camera. It is very cheap to get a CD here of the photos so I have done that recently but must get around to buying a new camera because it is much more practical in the long term.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home